Thanks to the wonder of Netflix, I finally got around to watching Juno this past weekend. What a bunch of hype over a very average film.
Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable enough. Who could help but laugh at little nuggets like “That ain’t no etch-a-sketch. This is one doodle that can’t be undid, homeskillet.” Or a girl screaming, “Thundercats are go!!” to announce her labor. Quirky fun, right?
Honestly, I think the film tries too hard to be smart and witty. And I seriously don’t get the love for Ellen Page in this film. The few characters I’ve seen her play are all some variant on the same theme. At least her delivery of them is. Duuuulllllll.
Luckily, there is some humor, and Allison Janney, to be found amidst the monotonous dialogue, one-liners, and mostly socially inept characters in uncomfortable situations.
Yep. Another tag. And holy crap, is it long!!! So I’d better get started…ok, let’s see.
4 Jobs I Have Had
- Catering – From junior high until early college, I did VIP catering at the local university. Started out working concession stands with our church group, but ended up playing endentured servant at dinner parties held at the University President’s and Chancelor’s homes. The Chancelor’s wife made us get those damned french maid uniforms (not the porn version, thankfully) for events at her house. The first time we wore them, I was standing at the door greeting her guests with a tray of champagne. And she had the nerve to comment about how “cute they look in their uniforms.” I’ve never wanted to bash someone in the face with a silverplated tray more in my life.
- Office Manager at Rentronics – I met the manager in a pool hall while I was in college. He was looking for a new office manager, I was looking for a part-time job. I didn’t have to try and sell that crap to customers, just manage the paperwork and computer stuff. He got fired several months later and the new manager (who apparently was a former manager) was forcing me to do sales so he could bring back his former office person. Yeah. I’m going to talk people into spending $10,000 over a few years on a used television. I think NOT.
- Crap Jewelry Store Manager – After Mission Jewelers shut down, the manager brought me over to manage a new little costume jewelry kiosk in the mall. That was fun, until his drinking problem surfaced and I was being called at midnight to meet him at bars for “business meetings.” The kiosk pretty much fell apart not long after, but he gave me the best damn reference that essentially guaranteed my getting my current job, which I started right after college. Sort of.
- CG & Camera Operator for TV station – I wanted to do television production when I first started college. Really, I wanted to film, but a scholarship to the local school kind of changed my mind for me. So when I had an chance to get my foot in the door at a local news channel, I grabbed it. After working the news for a few months, I decided that I would never ever be able to do that for a career.
4 Movies I Could (and Do) Watch Over and Over Again
- Tombstone – Val Kilmer as Doc never gets old.
- Pretty in Pink – Jon Cryer as Duckie…I had the biggest crush on him after seeing this movie the first time. He was my ideal man…when I was 12-18. He could ride his bike past my house any time!
- The Princess Bride – Just a fun (and also very quotable) movie.
- Any Marilyn Monroe movie – some of my very favs are Some Like it Hot, River of No Return, and Gentleman Prefer Blondes
4 Places I Have Lived – I haven’t moved around much actually. But here’s what I can come up with.
- Memphis, TN – don’t remember it, but I lived there for the first 11 months of my life
- Beaumont – with my parents and later in a trailer that was essentially in their backyard.
- DFW area – in a townhome
- DFW area – in my very own first home!
4 TV Shows I Love – I don’t watch a lot of tv. But I do watch a lot of tv shows on dvd after the seasons end. I’m impatient and forgetful and can never remember the schedules. So I just watch them all on dvd in a night or two. Most of them aren’t even being made anymore.
- Queer as Folk – I’ve only seen the first two seasons so far (I think the show ended after 5 seasons) but I absolutely love it.
- Six Feet Under – Another one I started watching after the show ended. I’ve watched through the 4th season. Very dark but also very human and touching.
- Carnivale – I still can’t believe those jerks at HBO cancelled this after only two seasons.
- Most anything on HGTV – I love Designed to Sell, House Hunters, Landscaper’s Challenge, Decorator’s Challenge, Curb Appeal, etc.
4 Favorite Books – I read a lot, but in spurts. I may go months and months without touching a book. Then, the mood strikes and I’ll knock out 3 or 4 within a few weeks. I can’t think of any individual favorites…hmmm…
- The Mayfair Witches Series by Anne Rice
- The Harry Potter books
- Most anything by Stephen King or Dean Koontz
- Dr. Seuss books – I think all of life’s lessons can be learned from these
- BONUS: The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
4 Places I Have Vacationed – I haven’t vacationed much, aside from the trips with the family growing up. But here’s a few. In a few months, I’ll get to add San Diego to the list!
- Memphis – Growing up, this was about the only place we ever got to visit. It wasn’t until I was much older that we actually got to go out and see some of the city: Beale Street (which is very cool), The Peabody Hotel, Graceland, etc.
- Seattle – Oldest brother, Dilbert, used to live there. Got to go there a few times. Pike’s Place Market was fun. And of course, my beloved Fluevog store was there as well.
- France – My youngest brother, Duckie, and I got to go for 2 weeks the summer after my high school graduation. I’d love to go back someday.
- Puerto Vallarta – Badass and I went for a week back in 2000. Would like to go again someday as well, but with better company.
4 Websites I Read Every Day – Sadly, my job doesn’t allow me much time for daily visits anywhere these days. But here’s the ones I try to hit as much as possible.
- My Blogroll Buddies
- Dallas Stars sites
- Yahoo 360 – similar to MySpace but cooler, unless you want the whole music scene
- Google – my quick source for everything 😛
4 Favorite Food (Groups)
Tagging: Anyone who wants to participate. I’m lazy tonight. Let me know if you post yours!
I love movies. I love quoting movies. I know I’m not the only one who does this, so…I’m curious as to which ones you quote, so feel free to comment. Or blog your own list and let me know!
Here’s what I can think of pretty readily that I actually say somewhat often:
Pretty In Pink:
- Come on! Let’s plow!
- Do I O-ffend?
- I used to have a great butt. I did!!! I loved my butt!!
- Yo man, next time I’ll kick yo ass. That’ll be that.
- May I admire you again today?
- I’m off like a dirty shirt!
- I’m your huckleberry.
- …I forgot you where there. You may go now.
- Then again, you may be the anitchrist.
- I stand corrected. You’re an oak.
- I have not yet begun to defile myself.
- You’re no daisy. You’re no daisy at all!
- Does this mean we’re not friends anymore? If I thought you weren’t my friend, I don’t think I could bear it.
Grosse Point Blank:
- Don’t you get it?? You don’t get to have me!
- You’re a handsome devil. What’s your name?
- Dumb fucking luck.
- Do you really believe there’s some stored up conflict between us? There is no us. So who do you want to hit, man? It’s not me.
Team America: World Police
- I’m gonna cut off your balls and shove them up your ass so that the next time you shit, you shit all over your balls.
- Why is everyone so fucking stupid? Why can’t people be more interrrigent, rike me?
- I was just nowhere near your neighborhood.
- Am I coming off as too intense? Because I can be intensely laid back.
- I think, #1, you have an act and that, #2, not having an act is your act.
The Princess Bride:
- As you wish!
- You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- Life is pain. Anyone who tells you different is selling something.
- Am I going mad? Or did the word, “think” just escape your lips?
- I would not say such things if I were you!
Whoa…that’s a pretty long list already. I’ll stop there. What are some of yours? Either favorites or just lines you tend to say sometimes?
Saw this over at The Rock Bitch and thought I’d give it a shot. Go figure, she got one of her favorite movies, and I got one of mine. Although not by much of a margin.
I heart Duckie Dale. In fact, it’s why I call one of my brothers Duckie on here. Well, not because I love him in that way, but because he reminds me of him. Brother Duckie even dressed up as PiP Duckie for Halloween one year long ago. And the both of us (mostly me) still quote this movie entirely too often.
|Pretty in Pink
Your life mostly resembles Pretty in Pink. You have some financial difficulties, but because of them you are more creative. You are prone to having a sidekick who follows you everywhere because you are so cool.
Take this quiz at QuizGalaxy.com
Ok. I’m off like a dirty shirt…
I finally watched it earlier. It was a pretty good movie, but don’t believe (all of) the hype. I cannot comprehend how this won best picture this year. In comparison to Finding Neverland, Hotel Rwanda, and The Aviator, it was average at best.
Don’t get me wrong. I liked it. I just didn’t LOVE it. The story was kind of cliched for the first half: Girl (well, she’s over 30) from nowhere wants to be a boxer. Wants a trainer. Trainer doesn’t want to take on a girl. Eventually he does. She goes on a 1st round knockout spree. Wants a title fight. Then something bad happens. And I pretty much cried for the rest of the movie.
It’s not a feel-good movie. But it’s a good movie.